Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Feeling of Service

Last week, there was a National Gifted Conference held here in Atlanta

As a member of our locally established gifted advocacy group, we raised money for our teachers to go.
When the time came for one of our gifted teachers to sign up, he wasn't sure if he would go because of a lack of funding for substitutes. So, as a registered substitute and licensed teacher, I volunteered my services.
I volunteered to teach for three days in a middle school.
And it wasn't bad - at all. But I was so tired. Being 5 months pregnant probably doesn't help much either. And I felt horrible - by the third day, I was questioning myself as to why I was doing this.
Let me reiterate - It was not bad - certainly not as bad as it could have been. The kids were good. I had videos for all three days. I was just
so
tired.
So
Tired.
But then last night, I realized why I did it. Our gifted teacher came to our locally established gifted advocacy group quarterly meeting last night and shared with us what he had learned.
He was so excited. He learned a lot and really, really enjoyed it. He said several times that it was one of the best conferences he has ever been to.
Then, it was so worth it.
Had I been asked if I would do this again, I would have probably said no. But through his gratitude and just the fact that he gained so much, yes, I do think I would volunteer again.
Probably not pregnant, though

No comments: